We can’t think of a better way to enjoy St. Patrick’s Day than with a heaping plate of homemade corned beef and boiled cabbage. In the tradition of Heinen’s Fine Meats, we make our own corned beef, with recipes dating back three generations to Joe Heinen. Skip the trip to NYC and go for genuine corned beef right at home! Pair with a malty beer for the perfect complement to the salt and spices in the beef.
- 3 lbs. Heinen’s corned beef brisket
- 3 all spice berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 4 to 6 black peppercorns
- 1 gallon of water
- 1 head of cabbage thinly sliced
- 10 red potatoes cut into small wedges
- 8 to 10 carrots peeled and sliced thin
- 2 sweet onions thinly sliced
- In a large pot place beef and spices, cover with 1 gallon of water.
- Cover the pot and place it in the oven on 300°F for 150 minutes.
- After the 2½ hours, take the pot out of the oven and place it on the burner on medium high heat and add in all of the vegetables and cook until they are tender.
- Slice the corned beef against the grain, very thin, and serve with the vegetables and stock.