The grill was fired up. The burgers were tasted. And now the votes are tallied. Our judges sampled the semi-finalist burger recipes (hard job, we know) from the Build Your Best Burger Challenge and have crowned the Grand Prize Winner: PJ’s Best Beef Burger, a juicy combination of grass-fed beef, garlic and more (recipe below) by Paul B.
Part of this year’s Burger Bash, the contest sought to find the Best Burger in the Land, based on Taste, Creativity and Ease of Preparation. Our Runner-Up is Lynn R. whose Greek Sliders combined ground lamb, feta and Tzatziki sauce (recipe below). A round of applause for our delicious winners! And thank you to everyone who entered the contest.
PJ’s Best Beef Burger
- 1 1/2 lbs. Heinen’s Organic Grass-Fed Ground Beef
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons Light Hellman’s Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 large cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely-ground fresh pepper
- Heinen’s Onion Buns
- Heirloom tomato slices
- Vlasic dill pickle slices
- Mustard & Ketchup as desired
- Combine all burger ingredients in a small bowl. Mix gently with a spatula or clean hands. Cover the mixture tightly with clear plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least two (2) hours or overnight, letting the flavors meld.
- After the mixture has been refrigerated, separate it into six (6) patties.
- Prepare a grill pan by lightly coating it with vegetable oil.
- Cook over medium high heat for approximately four (4) minutes per side for the burger to be done “medium.”
- Serve the burgers on Heinen’s onion buns, slightly toasted, add a few Arugula leaves, heirloom tomato slices, Vlasic dill slices (can be on the side) and mustard and ketchup (as desired.)
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup Feta (Mt. Vikos, Barrel-Aged)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Tzatziki Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/8 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup grated cucumber
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 slider buns
- 12 mint leaves
- 12 teaspoons Feta (Mt. Vikos, Barrel-Aged)
- 1 cucumber, sliced thin
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 tomato, sliced thin
- In a large bowl, mix ground lamb, oregano, chopped mint, Feta, garlic, salt and pepper. Knead together for 1 minute and make 6 patties.
- To make Tzatziki: mix yogurt, mint, garlic, grated cucumber, lemon juice and salt. Allow to sit while burgers cook.
- Heat grill to 550 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook burgers 2 minutes on each side. After turning, while still on the grill, put 2 teaspoons of feta on each burger until melted. Remove from grill.
- Grill the buns for 1 minute. Remove from grill.
- Spread 1 tablespoon tzatziki on each bottom bun, then place 2 mint leaves, the burger, two slices of cucumber, 1 slice of onion, and 1 slice of tomato. Top with top bun.
If you try one of these recipes, be sure to share on social using #SummerWithHeinens.
Click here to print this recipe