Here’s a great recipe for Meatless Monday or really any day of the week…
Portabella mushrooms make for a great meaty substitute when you’re craving a burger but not the meat. Topped with all your favorite traditional burger toppings, you’ll hardly know it’s a veggie burger! Marinate and grill these jumbo mushroom caps until they’re nice and tender, then serve on a sliced ciabatta bun and you’ve got a terrific homemade veggie burger that you’ll want to make over and over again.
What you’ll need:
- Fresh Portabella Mushroom Caps
- Heinen’s Balsamic Vinegar
- Heinen’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Coarse Sea Salt & Fresh Cracked Pepper
- Two Brothers Seasoning (Optional)
- Heinen’s Bakery Ciabatta Roll
- Sliced Red Onion
- Divina Roasted Red Peppers (In the deli olive bar)
- Two Brothers Pepper Jack Cheese or Yancy’s Horseradish Cheddar Cheese
- Green Leaf Lettuce
- Crispy Coleslaw (In the deli salads bar)
Clean the mushrooms by pooping off the stem of the mushroom and then use a spoon and gently scrape the gills on the bottom of the mushroom. Then, use a damp paper towel to wipe off the top and bottom of the cap.
Marinate each side of each mushroom for about an hour (half hour each side) with the following marinade:
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Coarse Ground Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper or a Pinch of Heinen’s Two Brothers Seasoning
Heat the grill to medium-high heat and grill each side of the mushroom for about 4-5 minutes. Grill until your mushrooms are nice and soft but not super squishy. While your mushrooms are grilling, put some red onion rings and red pepper strips on the grill and grill until caramelized.
As soon as your portobello is finished on the grill place it stem side up on a sliced ciabatta roll from the bakery and top with sliced red onion,grilled red pepper or any of your favorite burger toppings and finish with a slice of Two Brothers Pepper Jack or Yancy’s Horseradish Cheddar Cheese and lettuce. Serve warm with Heinen’s Crispy Coleslaw and enjoy!!