A new year calls for new discoveries and experiences. Did you know Heinen’s Essential Oils are now in your Wellness Department? Whatever you may be feeling this time of year – stress, fatigue, lack of focus – essential oils may positively transform your emotional state.
If you’re new to essential oils, there are two main ways to utilize them*:
- Aromatically – You may opt to simply inhale various essential oils, keeping in mind that they are quite strong and a little can go a long way. Another great option is to use with a diffuser, also found in your Wellness Department. Do not heat essential oils as it destroys them.
- Topically – It’s important to dilute essential oils with a carrier of choice, like coconut oil, at a 5% to 95% ratio. Water does not dilute essential oils. Keep in mind that citrus oils can be phototoxic, meaning your skin is susceptible to sun damage.
Your best bet is to test a new essential oil on an inconspicuous spot of your skin before using. If you happen to get essential oils in your eye, use a full fat milk to stop the burning.
Scents + Mood
Although the emotions evoked by scents are highly personal, there seems to be a certain correlation between the scent of some essential oils and the “moods” they create. The mood created by a particular smell has a lot to do with the limbic system in the body – the oldest and most ancient system in the brain. The olfactory bulbs (related to scent) of the limbic system directly connect to the areas of the brain that process emotion and learning. This is one of the reasons why something that we smell will often trigger a memory or remind us of something or someone.
Some studies show that inhaling certain scents promote measurable changes in your brain and body. Here are some of the most popular aromatherapy scents and their mood-boosting properties:
- Lemon is a cheerful, energizing scent that is ideal when you need a boost, along with other citrus scents like orange and grapefruit.
- Peppermint helps promote mental clarity and is an invigorating scent perfect for a productivity boost.
- Lavender is prized for its soothing properties.
- Jasmine helps promote clarity and relaxation. It is also an ideal aroma for invoking a romantic mood! Ooh la la!
- Cinnamon is perfect when you need to improve focus and promote better concentration with its stimulating spiciness.
*We do not suggest ingesting essential oils as they are 100% pure and very potent.