Salads just seem to hit the spot after a long winter of heavy, starchy comfort foods. With fresh and local ingredients beginning to hit the shelves there’s no excuse not to throw together a light, tasty salad like these.
A great salad is the best thing to eat outside when the sun is shining and the birds are chirping. These simple summer salads are great for picnics, cook-outs or taking to the beach!
Watermelon, Feta and Red Onion
- 2 cups watermelon, cubed
- ¼ cup feta Cheese, crumbled
- ¼ of a small red onion, sliced paper thin
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
In a bowl combine the watermelon, feta, red onion and vinaigrette. Chill. Garnish with freshly chopped mint prior to serving.
- 2 lbs. cooked lobster meat, thawed, drained, large diced
- 2 ½ oz. celery, small diced
- 2 oz. mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. flat leaf parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
In a bowl, combine lobster meat, celery, mayonnaise, lemon juice, parsley and seasoning. Chill.
Kale, Brussel Sprout and Soba Noodle Salad
- 1 bunch Tuscan Kale, stemmed and leaves julienned
- 8 Brussel sprouts, thinly sliced
- 2 ea. Green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 oz. soba noodles
- 4 tbsp. Toasted Sesame Oil
- ½ tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp. Rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. Soy sauce
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
Cook the soba noodle according to the package, drain. Place into a bowl, add the julienned kale, sliced Brussel sprouts and green onion.
In a separate bowl prepare the dressing: whisk together the sesame oil, garlic, rice vinegar, soy sauce and red pepper flakes. Pour the dressing over the noodle and kale mixture and combine.
Simple Green Bean Salad
- 3 cups green beans, trimmed and cut into ¼ “ pieces
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tbsp. chopped chives
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp. Agave
- ½ tsp. ginger puree
- 2 tsp. Soy Sauce
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. curry powder
In a bowl combine the green beans, carrots and chives. In a separate bowl whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, agave, ginger puree, soy sauce and seasonings.
Pour the dressing over the green bean mixture and combine.