Heinen’s is vested in bringing you the best of the best food available. We are committed to helping you make the best food choices for you and your specific needs. We have empowered Wellness Consultants in our stores to help you optimize your health with food. So why do we offer supplements? Even if we eat right, sleep long enough, exercise and engage in healthy relationships, we need to supplement. And let me state upfront; the word is “supplement” not “substitute.” The foundation of Heinen’s Wellness Strategy is a Superfood Diet (plant based, calorie sparse and nutrient-dense) and no supplement can be a substitute for whole food.
The 5 top reasons we need to supplement:
1. Modern farming methods have depleted the soil of vital nutrients. From relying on artificial fertilizers to nourish our soil, hybridizing crops to provide higher yields at the cost of lower nutrients and higher sugar content, increased usage of pesticides, and herbicides damaging the soil microorganisms which make nutrients available to plants, the topsoil of our country is shrinking and the nutrient content of our foods is shrinking as well.
2. Food processing often drastically reduces nutrient content. For example, the refining of wheat to make white flour removes approximately 80% of its magnesium, 70-80% of its zinc, 87% of its chromium, 88% of its manganese, and 50% of its cobalt. Similarly, polishing rice removes about 75% of its zinc and chromium. A Superfood diet does not contain any processed foods for this very reason.
3. Unhealthy lifestyle habits directly affect our health status and increase our need for additional nutrients. If you drink alcohol, smoke heavily or live in a polluted city, your nutritional needs can greatly increase. Additionally, there are foods and habits that can strip the body of nutrients that we should be mindful of and try to limit (if possible) like drinking coffee. A cup of coffee can cut your iron absorption by 1/3. Additionally taking pharmaceutical drugs like Aspirin increases the need for vitamin C.
4. Weak digestion and poor eating habits impair the absorption of nutrients. Digestion issues are one of the most common health complaints today. People with impaired digestion often don’t absorb nutrients sufficiently, which further increases nutritional needs. If you are like me, there are days I do not eat the recommended 8-12 servings of fruits and vegetables.
5. Being under a lot of stress can deplete many nutrients including calcium, magnesium and zinc. Among other implications, stress reduces digestive strength and can compromise our healing/repairing functions that occur while sleeping. This, in turn, reduces nutrient absorption and utilization even further!
In an ideal world, we wouldn’t have to supplement our diets to get health-enhancing amounts of vitamins and minerals, but the nature of modern living is such that most often this is not the case. Following our Superfood Diet (one that is plant-based, calorie-sparse and nutrient-dense), the supplements we suggest to take is limited to 5: a whole food multi-vitamin, bioavailable iodine, a probiotic, Vitamin D and algae-based DHA (an Omega 3). The next time you are at your Heinen’s, visit your Wellness Consultant for more information on choosing the right supplements for you.