Your Good Health is Our Mission!
To help you and your family benefit from healthy food choices, the Cleveland Clinic has created the Go Foods program. Simply look for the Go Foods label on Heinen’s prepared foods and on grocery items throughout the store. The label ensures you are making the healthiest food selections. In any Cleveland Clinic cafeteria, look for the Go Foods green-light sticker.
Cleveland Clinic nutrition experts certify that foods carrying the Go Foods labels meet national nutrition guidelines and contain:
- Minimal Saturated Fat: less than 4 grams for main dishes; less than 2 grams for side dishes, soups and desserts - Reason: Saturated fats "harden" arteries and cause high LDL cholesterol, which increases the risk of heart attack, stroke and some cancers
- No Trans Fat - Reason: Trans fat has no redeeming qualities! It increases bad LDL cholesterol and decreases good HDL cholesterol, raising the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Minimal Added Sugars and Syrups: less than 4 grams for main dishes and desserts; less than 2 grams for side dishes and soups - Reason: Adding sugar adds empty calories and causes blood sugar to fluctuate.
- 100% Whole Grain - Reason: Whole grains are a vital source of fiber. Fiber has been shown to decrease the risk of heart disease, stroke, and certain cancers, maintain blood sugar and insulin levels, assist with regular bowel movements and keep you feeling fuller longer.
- Minimal Sodium: No more than 600 mg in entrees; 480 mg in sides and desserts - Reason: High sodium intake is associated with high blood pressure, increased risk of stroke and worsening of kidney disease, heart failure and other conditions.