Beer Braised Pork Shoulder Roast
One 4-pound boneless pork shoulder roast
½ cup of all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons of olive oil
5 peeled and sliced carrots
4 sliced celery stalks
1 peeled and large diced yellow onion
2 peeled and large diced turnips
4 finely minced cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 bottle of Two-Brothers Imperial Stout Beer
32 ounces of chicken stock
1 tablespoon each minced chives, thyme and rosemary
24 ounces of Melissa’s tri-colored gemstone potatoes
1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 325°.
2. Season the pork on all sides with salt and pepper, wrap in 3 strings of butcher’s twine, and then coat it in the flour and set aside.
3. Add olive oil to a large dutch oven over high heat and brown the pork on all sides.
4. Once browned, remove the pork and add in the carrots, celery, onion, turnips and garlic and pan roast for 5 to 6 minutes or until lightly browned.
5. Stir in tomato paste and cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until it becomes a rust color.
6. Deglaze with the beer and pour in the chicken stock, herbs and season heavily with salt and pepper.
7. place the pork back in the pot and place on the lid and cook in the oven at 325° for 3 ½ to 4 hours or until the pork is extremely tender and falling apart. Remove the butchers twine and keep warm.
8. Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender.
9. Strain the potatoes and coat in butter, salt and pepper
10. Slice the pork and serve it alongside the cooked potatoes and root vegetables.
Recipe created by Chef Billy Parisi l Click here to print this recipe
Sign in to Tasteful Rewards to View My Recipe Box
Register your Tasteful Rewards card & create your profile.
New Customer? Sign up for Tasteful Rewards now.
Get a Card