This recipe and photography was provided courtesy of local cookbook author and chef, Carla Snyder. Learn more about Carla and discover her recipes at Ravenouskitchen.com or in her cookbook, One Pan Whole Family.
One of the best things about this recipe is that all the ingredients are usually on hand, making it as easy as 1,2,3 to get this thin brownie sheet out of the oven, into the freezer and most importantly, into your mouth. The espresso powder makes them taste even more chocolaty but if you don’t have any on hand, just skip it. They’ll still be delicious.
It’s that easy: For best results in baking, use room temperature butter. To bring cold butter to room temperature fast, nuke for 15 seconds in the microwave. Press with your fingers and if still firm, nuke another 5 seconds then set aside on the counter. Go ahead and measure all the other ingredients out. By the time you are finished measuring, the butter should be softened enough to beat with the sugar.
Brownie Sheet Cake Ice Cream Sandwiches
Makes one 13 by 18-inch sheet pan
- Cooking spray
- Flour for dusting the sheet pan
- 6-oz (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder dissolved into 2 teaspoons hot water (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment, spray with cooking spray and dust with flour, shaking off excess.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a mixer bowl and beat on medium speed until light and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- While the sugar and butter cream are being mixed, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and stir with a whisk to combine.
- With the motor running, add the eggs 1 at a time, vanilla and espresso if using. Stop the mixer and scrape up the unmixed portions at the bottom and sides of the bowl. The mixture may look curdled and that’s okay.
- Reduce the speed on the mixer and add the dry ingredients in 3 increments just until the mixture is combined.
- Scrape the batter onto the pan and spread evenly with a wide spatula. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 10 to 12 minutes or until set and firm when pressed. Cool completely on a rack.
- If not using right away, cut into two squares for easy storage.
- Keeps frozen and tightly wrapped for up to 2 months.
- If using immediately, cut into small rectangles and fill with ice cream.
Click Here to Print the Recipe for Brownie Sheet Cake Ice Cream Sandwiches.