This recipe and photography was provided courtesy of local cookbook author and chef, Carla Snyder. Learn more about Carla and discover her recipes at Ravenouskitchen.com, or in her cookbook, One Pan Whole Family.
Tender chicken kebabs and colorful grilled cherry tomatoes, red onion and zucchini make a delicious and fun weeknight dinner. The lemon, cinnamon and cumin add spice and zing to chicken thighs while the hummus sauce pulls it all together. Serving this dish with pita bread allows you to create a little roll-up sandwich if you so desire. Yum.
It’s that easy: Make sure the chicken is cut evenly for the most accurate cooking times and for maximum tenderness.
Chicken Kebabs with Zucchini and Hummus Sauce
Start to finish: 30 minutes
Hands on time: 30 minutes
Makes 12 kebabs
- Twelve 9-inch flat wooden skewers
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for sprinkling
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2-lbs chicken thighs
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 red onion
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- Oil or vegetable spray for the grill
- 1 cup purchased hummus
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Pita bread for serving
- Soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- If using a charcoal fire, light the coals so that they will be ready.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- On a large cutting board, mince the garlic and add it to a medium bowl. Zest and juice the lemons and add it to the bowl along with the oil, cumin, cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper and combine the marinade well. Transfer half to another medium bowl.
- Trim the chicken of fat, cut into bite-sized pieces and toss into one of the bowls of marinade. Let sit at room temperature while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Flip the cutting board over to the clean side and cut the zucchini in half lengthwise then slice into 1/2-inch thick pieces. Peel the onion and cut into quarters then into 1-inch or so sized pieces. Add the vegetables and tomatoes to the other bowl of marinade and toss to coat.
- Brush or spray grill grates with oil.
- Thread alternate pieces of chicken, zucchini, onion and tomato on the soaked skewers and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Spray lightly with vegetable spray.
- Grill the kebabs, covered, turning occasionally, until lightly browned with some dark spots, about 8 to 10 minutes total or until chicken is firm and fully cooked.
- Spread hummus on a platter and top with kebabs. Garnish with cilantro and serve with pita bread on the side.
Make-ahead: The kebabs can be assembled and kept covered and refrigerated for up to 8 hours.
In the glass: Heinen’s is featuring some terrific rosés this spring. Look for Savas or Mionetto Rosé or try a new bottle or two and discover a new summer favorite.
Click Here to Print the Recipe for Chicken Kebabs