This recipe and photography was provided courtesy of local cookbook author and chef, Carla Snyder. Learn more about Carla and discover her recipes at Ravenouskitchen.com or in her cookbook, One Pan Whole Family. For more Ice Cream Sandwich recipes from this series, visit the index here.
An easy way to create homemade ice cream sandwiches is to use Famous Chocolate Wafers. The recipe below uses vanilla ice cream, tart lemon curd and boozy limoncello to create an adult version your family and guests will crave. Don’t let this recipe stop you from making a few non-alcoholic ones for the kiddies. They’ll love them as much as the adults.
It’s that easy: I encourage you to keep the bottle of limoncello in the freezer and the lemon curd chilled. It’s important so that the ice cream doesn’t melt completely when you mix it all together. You will want to keep the limoncello frozen anyway as that’s the best way to drink it. Plus, you’ll want to try a little shot with the ice cream sandwich. Right?
Chocolate Wafer Ice Cream Sandwiches
Makes about 8 sandwiches
- 1-pt vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup lemon curd, chilled
- 1/4 cup limoncello, bottle in the freezer
- Famous Chocolate Wafer cookies
- Lemon sugar, optional
- Chocolate jimmies, optional
- Soften the ice cream and blend with the chilled curd and limoncello. Return to the freezer for at least 2 hours to firm up.
- Layer a scoop of ice cream thickly onto the flat side of a cookie and top with another cookie pressing evenly to compact and push the ice cream to the edges.
- Wrap each cookie tightly in plastic as you assemble it and return to the freezer for at least 1 hour. Remember to work fast as the ice cream melts very quickly.
- Dip sides into the lemon sugar or jimmies if desired. Return to the freezer for another 30 minutes to firm up before serving