The photography for this post was provided by local blogger, Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
This recipe is part of our “Pantry 101” series that focuses on creations that can be made with a few ingredients from the pantry and elsewhere. For more recipes, visit the index here.
We’ve all been there. That midnight hour rolls around and you are stuck staring at your fridge or freezer for something, anything to satisfy your sweet tooth. More often than we’d like to admit, we go for a pint of ice cream, or a slice of cake. Loads of sugar before we hit the sack should not be the protocol we follow for treating our bodies best. I get it though, sometimes you just need sweet treat to polish off your evening.
Insert — Dark Chocolate Coconut Gems!
These tiny dark chocolate rounds are sprinkled with Himalayan sea salt and unsweetened coconut flakes. When kept in your freezer, they make for a sweet and salty treat. These Dark Chocolate Coconut Gems completely melt in your mouth. Grab a few and indulge without the guilt!
- Dark Chocolate Chips – melted
- Organic Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- Himalayan Sea Salt
- Set aside a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in the freezer, so that the baking sheet gets nice and cold for the chocolate to set faster!
- Melt 12 oz of dark chocolate chips in a glass bowl in microwave. 30 second intervals, stirring each time, until ¾ of the chocolate chips have melted. Take out and stir until remainder have melted as well. This process should only take two 30 second intervals, and perhaps 20 additional seconds at most.
- You can either spoon the chocolate into small circles onto the cold baking sheet, OR …
- Make a homemade piping bag! Take a tall drinking glass, open a quart size Ziploc bag and place the bag inside the glass. While holding the top of the bag, pour in the melted chocolate. Lift the bag out of the glass, push out any air and zip close. Cut the corner tip with scissors and begin to pipe the one-inch circles onto the cold baking sheet.
- As you pipe the chocolate, sprinkle the tops with Himalayan sea salt and place a few pieces of coconut chips.
- Let the dark chocolate coconut gems firmly set in the freezer. You can then store them in a gallon size freezer bag or serve immediately!