This recipe and photography was provided courtesy of local cookbook author and chef, Carla Snyder. Learn more about Carla and discover her recipes at Ravenouskitchen.com.
Dulce is Spanish for sweet, and this aptly-named confection is not only sweet, but rich with caramel and cream. I suggest a sundae bar featuring vanilla ice cream, dulce de leche sauce, grilled pineapple, whipped cream and a bowl of cherries to crown each individual creation.
Dulce de Leche Sundaes with Grilled Pineapple
Start-to-Finish: 30 minutes
Hands-On Time: 30 minutes
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced cross-ways into 1/2-inch thick rings
- 1/2 gallon vanilla bean or French vanilla ice cream
- 2 jars dulce de leche sauce
- Toppings: whipped cream, maraschino cherries
- Heat a grill or grill pan to high heat.
- Arrange the pineapple rings on the grill and cook until browned around the edges, flip and brown the other side, about 8 minutes total. You can also cook on a grill pan until ridge marks appear, flip and cook the other side, about 8 minutes total.
- Top each warm pineapple ring with a scoop of ice cream, drizzle with dulce de leche sauce and garnish with whipped cream and cherries, if desired.
Make-ahead: The pineapple can be grilled one day in advance and kept covered in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave if you want to serve them warm.
Click Here to Print the Recipe for Dulce de Leche Sundaes with Grilled Pineapple.