This recipe and photography was provided courtesy of local cookbook author and chef, Carla Snyder. Learn more about Carla and discover her recipes at Ravenouskitchen.com or in her cookbook, One Pan Whole Family. For more Ice Cream Sandwich recipes from this series, visit the index here.
Grilled donut ice cream sandwiches are all the rage. They are super fast to assemble and too delicious not to try. I have offered a few options but the sky is the limit. Pair up your favorite doughnut, ice cream and sprinkly additions to your heart’s content.
Grilled Donut Ice Cream Sandwiches
Start to finish: 20 minutes
Hands on time: 20 minutes
- 6 donuts of your choice
- 1-pt ice cream of your choice
- Sprinkle of your choice
Try the following options. It’s that Easy:
- Chocolate Glazed donut with pistachio ice cream and pistachios
- Glazed donut with coconut chip and mini chips
- Cake donut with chocolate ice cream, marshmallow fluff and mini chips
- Cinnamon donut with coffee ice cream
- Heat a grill to medium heat.
- Slice the donut in half and grill both sides until grill marks appear, about 2 or 3 minutes per side.
- Quickly scoop ice cream onto one half and top with other half, sprinkle if you like and eat fast, preferably outside in the grass as they can become very drippy, but these are very, very good.
Variation: While you have the grill on, go ahead and grill some fruit to go with the sandwiches. Slice down pineapple and halve peaches. Brush with a mix of equal parts butter, sugar and rum and grill until tender and grill marked then grill the donuts. Serve fruit warm in a bowl with the grilled donut half topped with ice cream and sprinkles.