Mushroom Strata with Red Pepper, Green Onions and Fontina:
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps sliced
2 red bell peppers, chopped
8 cups (packed) 1-inch pieces Wonder Bread or other white bread (about 12 slices)
1 peeled and sliced yellow onions
2 1/4 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups half and half
5 large eggs
3/4 cup chopped green onions, white and green parts
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups (packed) grated Parmesan cheese (about 4 ounces)
1 cup (packed) grated Fontina cheese (about 4 ounces)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
2. Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and peppers and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool.
3. Combine bread and milk in large bowl. Let stand until milk is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
4. Whisk half and half, eggs, green onions, garlic, salt and pepper in medium bowl to blend.
5. Place half of bread mixture in single layer in prepared glass baking dish (bread will not cover bottom of baking dish). Top with half each of mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, Fontina cheese, and half and half mixture. Repeat layering with remaining bread, mushrooms, Parmesan and Fontina cheeses, and half and half mixture. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
6. Bake strata uncovered until firm in center, puffed and golden, about 1 hour.
Recipe created by Chef Carla Snyder l Click here to print this recipe