The following recipe was created in collaboration with Lauren Schulte. To see more of her bites and meals, visit her Instagram @TheBiteSizePantry.
Whether you are a grill master or a “greenie” to the flame-charred vessel, you can set sail this summer with this easy grilling recipe. This dish is the perfect appetizer for summer entertaining or family dinners as it uses only a few ingredients that you probably already have on hand in your pantry. Heinen’s has a wonderful selection of fresh seasonal produce right now, one of my favorites being their peaches. Wrapping them in slices of salty prosciutto creates the ultimate summer flavor.
To get started, you can choose to remove the skin of the peaches or leave it on (I prefer to remove the skin). Either way, the peaches will grill just fine. To assemble the kabobs you’ll need skewers along with red onion, feta cheese, fig balsamic glaze, Columbus Prosciutto, my favorite Heinen’s olive oil spray and basil. If you are using wooden skewers make sure to soak them in water for up to 5 minutes before stacking them with the ingredients. Soaking them beforehand will unsure they don’t burn on the grill. Start by stacking the onion followed by a peach half and repeat until the skewer is full. Next take a slice of prosciutto and cut it into four thinner strips. Wrap the prosciutto strips around the peaches and red onion. Then start heating up the grill.
Note: I love using fresh peaches when in season, but when the season ends, Heinen’s canned peaches are a great substitute.
Preheat the grill to high heat. Leave the grill hood open as this method will ensure the prosciutto becomes crunchy instead of chewy. Spray the grill grates with olive oil spray before placing the kabobs on the hot surface so they don’t stick. The juice from the peaches should help to prevent any unwanted sticking as well. Cook on each side for 4-5 minutes or until char marks form. Once they’re done, remove the kabobs from the grill and drizzle with Heinen’s Fig Balsamic Glaze, sprinkle with feta cheese and add fresh basil for garnish.
If you’re looking to add some protein to this dish, Gerber’s Amish Chicken is a great addition.
- 3-4 kabobs
- 6 peaches, quartered
- 3-4 slices of prosciutto, cut each into 4 thinner strips
- 1 large red onion, cut into large chunks
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbles
- Heinen’s Organic Fig Balsamic Glaze, for garnish
- Basil, for garnish
- Heinen’s Olive Oil Spray
- Wood or metal skewers
- Spray grill grates with Heinen’s Olive Oil Spray. Preheat the grill to high heat and leave the grill hood up so that the prosciutto becomes crisp and crunchy as it cooks.
- Load the skewers starting with chunks of red onion followed by a quarter of peach. Continue this pattern until the skewer is full.
- Wrap a thin slice of prosciutto around the peaches and onions. You may need 3-4 thin slices for each kabob.
- Spray kabobs with olive oil spray and lay them on the hot grill, perpendicular to the direction on the grill grates to create grill marks. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side. When done, remove from the grill and set on serving platter.
- Drizzle with Heinen’s Fig Balsamic Glaze, sprinkle with feta cheese and garnish with basil.