This recipe and photography was provided courtesy of local cookbook author and chef, Carla Snyder. Learn more about Carla and discover her recipes at Ravenouskitchen.com.
Use the freshest seasonal fruit in this crispy, crunchy classic. With a simple but delicious topping made of flour, brown sugar, oats and butter zapped with cinnamon and ginger, you usually have all the ingredients right in your pantry (except for the berries, of course; keep those in your fridge).
It’s that easy: For even more crunch, feel free to add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans to the topping. For extra zip in the filling, stir in 1/4 cup of chopped, candied ginger into the fruit.
- 1/2 cup, plus 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups quick cook oats
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp, ginger
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 4 6 oz. containers mixed blackberries, raspberries and blueberries
- 1/2 orange, zested
- 1 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
- Ice cream or whipped cream as an accompaniment, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, oats, 1/4 cup flour, butter, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Stir the mixture together with a fork or mix with your fingers until well blended.
- In a 10 inch square or round baking pan, combine the fruit and remaining brown sugar, flour, orange zest and juice. Toss gently to combine. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is crisp. Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes before serving warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
- Keeps, covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.