This recipe and photography was provided courtesy of local cookbook author and chef, Carla Snyder. Learn more about Carla and discover her recipes at Ravenouskitchen.com.
Use the freshest seasonal fruit in this crispy, crunchy spring classic. With a simple and delicious topping made from flour, brown sugar, oats, butter, cinnamon and ginger, you likely have everything you need in your pantry already (except for the berries, of course; keep those in your fridge!)
It’s that easy: For even more crunch, add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans to the topping. For extra zippy flavor in the filling, stir 1/4 cup of chopped candied ginger into the fruit.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1/2 cup, plus 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups quick cook oats
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp, ginger
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 4 6 oz. containers mixed blackberries, raspberries and blueberries
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
- Ice cream or whipped cream, for pairing
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, oats, 1/4 cup flour, butter, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Stir the mixture together with a fork or mix with your fingers until well blended.
- In a 10-inch square or round baking pan, combine the fruit and remaining brown sugar, flour, orange zest and juice. Toss gently to combine. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is crisp.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes before serving warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Store covered, at room temperature for up to 3 days.