- Total time:
The recipe and photography for this post was provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Nothing says summer like seeing all of the local produce on display at Heinen’s! Be on the look out for local zucchini and yellow squash, peppers, onions, string beans, tomatoes and more. Since local produce is full of flavor, it doesn’t require complicated preparation. Grilling vegetables is one of the simplest ways to enjoy the freshness of seasonal vegetables. Toss chopped vegetables into a grill pan or skewer them with your favorite Heinen’s chicken and grill up some kebabs, like I’m sharing here.
To cut down on prep time I’ll often use Heinen’s bottled sauces as a one-and-done marinade. Here, I’m using Two Brother’s Island Soy Teriyaki which has a wonderfully bold and slightly tangy flavor. This recipe calls for chicken thighs because they won’t dry out as quickly as chicken breasts, though you could use any boneless, skinless cut you prefer.
Teriyaki Chicken & Vegetable Kebabs
Prep Time: 15 minutes (plus marinating time)
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 ½ lbs. Gerber’s boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in half
- 1/3 cup Two Brother’s Island Soy Teriyaki, plus extra for serving
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 yellow squash, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ large red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Cooked brown rice
- Green onions, thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl, toss the chicken thighs with 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce. Allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, or refrigerate up to 8 hours.
- Combine the vegetables, olive oil, salt and garlic powder in a separate large bowl. Season to taste with black pepper.
- Thread the chicken and vegetables onto metal skewers. Discard the chicken marinade. If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak for at least 30 minutes before preparing kebabs.
- Preheat an outdoor grill over medium-high heat (350-400˚F). Grease the grates then add the kebabs. Cook for 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve kebabs over brown rice and with additional teriyaki sauce. Top with green onions.