This recipe and photography was provided courtesy of local cookbook author and chef, Carla Snyder. Learn more about Carla and discover her recipes at Ravenouskitchen.com or in her cookbook, One Pan Whole Family. For more recipes from this watermelon series, click here to visit the index.
I’m always looking for an easy summer salad to go with simple grilled meats and it doesn’t get much simpler than this beautiful light and fresh watermelon mojito salad. You could add extras like feta cheese or olives but why mess with perfection?
It’s that easy: Most of us understand that fat carries flavor. That’s why ice cream lingers on our taste buds longer and more intensely than popsicles. But, did you know that alcohol also carries flavor? Just a splash can make something delicious taste even better. Think about a shot of vodka in a red sauce or even rum sauce on ice cream. Try tasting this salad before stirring in the rum and taste the difference afterward. Or not. It’s a slice of summer in a bowl either way.
Watermelon Mojito Salad
Start to finish: 15 minutes
Hands on time: 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rum (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced, about 3 cups
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly torn mint leaves, lightly packed plus a few sprigs for garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice, oil, honey, rum if using, salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- Add the watermelon, cucumber, onion and mint and stir gently.
- Refrigerate until serving. Garnish with mint and serve icy cold.
Make-ahead: Can be made up to 3 hours before serving.