Bison for breakfast? You heared that right! Start your day with a filling breakfast burrito. This breakfast is loaded with lean, Force of Nature ground bison, roasted sweet potatoes and scrambled eggs.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- You can use Force of Nature’s 100% grass-fed, grass-finished Ground Bison or Bison + Beef Breakfast Sausage. I opted for the ground bison for this recipe.
- Soft, roasted sweet potatoes complement the flavors of the Adobo-seasoned bison and classic burrito toppings like fresh salsa and guacamole.
- Perfect for on-the-go mornings, or feeding a crowd, these burritos can even be made ahead and frozen; wrapped in foil and stored in a gallon-sized bag.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 Tbsp. Heinen's olive oil
- 1 lb. Force of Nature ground bison
- 4 tsp. Heinen's Adobo seasoning
- 12 large Heinen's cage free eggs, whisked
- 6 large burrito shells
- Heinen's guacamole
- Sour Cream
- Heinen's salsa
- Heinen's Mexican four cheese blend
- Cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into bite-size pieces. Add the sweet potatoes to a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and mix with 3 Tbsp. olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread the potatoes into a single layer and roast in the oven at 400°F for 20 minutes. Set them aside.
- Add the remaining 2 Tbsp. of olive oil to a large non-stick skillet over high heat. Once it begins to smoke, add in the bison and break it up.
- Season with 2 tsp. of Heinen’s Adobo seasoning and mix to combine. Finish cooking the bison until it is cooked through, then set it aside on a plate.
- In the same pan over medium heat, add the whisked eggs and stir and scrape using a rubber spatula. Create large scrambled egg curds. This takes about 3-4 minutes.
- Season with the remaining 2 tsp. of Adobo. Remove from the heat.
- To plate, add about 1/2 cup each of the sweet potatoes, bison and eggs to the center of a warmed burrito shell. Garnish with guacamole, sour cream, salsa and cheese.
- Fold the sides to the center, then roll up the burrito (from the bottom) until it is seam-side-down. Make sure to keep the ingredients inside the burrito while you are rolling it up.
- Repeat this process with the remaining ingredients.
- Slice the burritos in half and serve with optional fresh cilantro.