Make breakfast the most colorful meal of the day with this hearty egg breakfast bowl!
While some may reserve veggies for salads and sides, I believe that they are best enjoyed in any meal at any time of day. Their nutritional power is truly unmatched and, enjoying them for breakfast will help keep you fuller longer.
For this recipe, I chose to feature veggies that are colorful, nutritious and hearty, such as purple cabbage, mushrooms, red peppers and baby spinach.
Sautéed quickly and topped with Heinen’s cage free eggs for protein and a fresh avocado for a touch of healthy fat, you won’t find a meal more well-rounded than this breakfast bowl.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1/2 Tbsp. Heinen’s extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage, sliced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup red peppers, diced
- 2 cups Heinen’s baby spinach leaves, packed
- Himalayan sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. Heinen’s coconut oil
- 2 Heinen's cage free eggs
- 1/4 avocado, diced
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in large frying pan.
- Add the cabbage, mushrooms and peppers, stirring frequently until the cabbage is slightly tender, yet crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and cook until it wilts slightly. Season to taste with the Himalayan sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in small frying pan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl until frothy. Pour the egg mixture into the pan. The mixture should set immediately at the edges.
- Gently push the cooked portions from edges toward the center so the uncooked eggs can reach the hot pan surface. Continue cooking, tilting the pan and gently moving the cooked portions as needed.
- When the top surface of the eggs has thickened and no visible liquid remains, turn the pan and slide the eggs into a bowl.
- Pour the vegetable mixture into the center of the bowl beside the eggs and top with fresh avocado.