The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
This is no basic brunch casserole – it’s a strata packed with the flavors of fall!
Featuring savory sausage and sweet apples tossed with crusty artisan bread and held together by melted gruyere cheese, serve this dish when you’re in the mood for comfort food!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half & half
- ¼ tsp. Heinen's organic ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's olive oil
- ½ lb. Heinen’s CARE Certified pork sausage
- ½ red onion, peeled and large diced
- 1 Granny Smith and Honeycrisp apple, cored and large diced
- 3 cups artisan bread, cubed
- 1 tsp. Heinen's ground sage
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the eggs, half & half, nutmeg, salt and pepper until combined. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and red onions. Cook for 4-5 minutes, breaking up the sausage with a spoon.
- Add the apples and cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly soft
- Add the cubed bread and season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a small casserole dish and pour the egg mixture over top.
- Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the strata is firm.