The following post, video and photography were provided by our partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
When life gives you lemons, use one of these kitchen hacks.
Many people don’t realize that citrus is good for more than adding refreshing flavor to dishes and drinks. It can be a useful tool around your kitchen too, helping to eliminate odors in your garbage disposal and preserve the freshness of pantry staples, like brown sugar.
Here are a few of my favorite citrus hacks that I use all year long!
Create Citrus Ice Cubes for a Fresh-Smelling Sink
- Zest a few lemons, oranges or limes into a pitcher.
- Add white distilled vinegar and water.
- Transfer the mixture into ice cube trays.
- Freeze and drop one in the garbage disposal anytime you want to freshen up your sink.
Use Orange Peels to Keep Brown Sugar Fresher Longer
- Use a paring knife and remove a big chunk of the peel from a fresh orange.
- Add the orange peel to an existing container of brown sugar and seal it up.
Use Fresh Zest to Create Citrus Butter for Flavoring Proteins and Vegetables
- Add some softened, unsalted butter to a stand mixer.
- Whip on high speed for 5-7 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add fresh lemon, lime and orange zest, along with a pinch of salt.
- Mix it all together to create an incredible citrus butter that goes well on vegetables, pork, chicken and fish.
- Freeze the butter until you are ready to use it.
Garnish a Martini with a Fresh Lemon Twist
- Hold a channel knife in one hand and a fresh lemon in the other.
- Use the knife to carve around the outside of the lemon. A long strip of the peel will come off.
- Twist the strip and add it to a martini for a vibrant garnish.