What’s more crowd-pleasing than guacamole? Maybe a totally customizable guacamole bar! While it’s perfect for Cinco de Mayo, no matter what type of gathering you’re planning for (or even for just a fun family dinner!) this is a guaranteed win. I’ve been avocado obsessed for a long time now so I personally don’t need an occasion to down a bowl of guacamole, but with a table full of all of the possible mix in’s, you’re sure to please everyone.
Avocados are high in calories, there’s no doubt, but if there’s a throwdown between highly fatty cheese dip and the good heart fixing omega 3’s in an avocado I think Guac wins!
What goes better with Guacamole than a salty rimmed ice cold margarita? Nothing!
To add color and texture, mix in tomatoes, chopped bell peppers, corn, black beans or olives.
If you’re a heat seeker, add extra garlic, diced jalapenos, green chili peppers, poblano peppers, ground cayenne pepper or cumin.
If you love cilantro, go overboard with it because it adds big flavor. Get creative by adding crumbled goat cheese, char-grilled corn, pickled jalapenos, mango salsa.
I’m sure if you’ve ever enjoyed guacamole you probably don’t need a recipe to replicate it but here’s a quick list for inspiration. I like mine super simple, just the essentials. Go crazy, experiment, see what works best for you.
When planning for a crowd I like to count on one avocado per person. I recommend only chopping up a few at a time. It’s easy enough to do as the bowl empties, just add more. You don’t want avocados to sit out too long as they will turn brown and lose their fresh taste. A little squeeze of lime or lemon juice will usually keep them bright and fresh.
- 1 medium ripe avocado, mashed
- juice of 1/2 lime, or to taste
- pinch salt, to taste
- onions (red, white, yellow, Vidalia, green, scallions, etc.)
- pico de gallo
- jalapeno peppers (fresh, canned, pickled, etc.)
- green chili peppers (fresh, canned, fire-roasted, etc.)
- poblano peppers
- Serrano peppers
- bell peppers (any color)
- ground cayenne pepper
- red pepper flakes
- corn (fresh, frozen, char-grilled, etc.)
- black beans
- cheese (crumbled Cotija, feta, goat, blue, etc.)
- anything else you love
- sour cream
- pico de gallo
- tortilla chips
- toasted pita bread
- baguette slices
- slices of bell pepper
- Peel and de-seed the avocado. Scoop out and mash the flesh in a medium bowl.
- Add the lime juice, salt to taste, and stir to combine.
- Add as many add-ins, to taste, as desired and stir to combine.
- Serve with optional ‘serve with’ items (sour cream, etc.) and serve on chips or alternate dippers. Guacamole is best enjoyed fresh.