What’s better than fresh guacamole? A completely customizable guacamole bar!
Perfect for Cinco de Mayo or even a fun family dinner at home, this recipe and general serving style is a guaranteed win.
When planning this bar, estimate about one avocado per person and prepare enough to feed the initial group. Then, as the bowl empties, add more avocados. This will ensure that the avocados stay fresh in taste and color. If you prefer to make the guac all at once, a little squeeze of lemon or lime juice will usually keep it fresh.
Once you have the guac, its all about the toppings. The great thing about a guacamole bar is that you can tailor the toppings to those around your table and give them the freedom to build their bowl as they please.
Here are a few examples of how you can customize your guacamole bar.
- To add color and texture, set out tomatoes, chopped bell peppers, corn, black beans or olives to mix in.
- For heat seekers, add extra garlic, diced jalapenos, green chili peppers, poblano peppers, ground cayenne pepper or cumin.
- If you love cilantro, go overboard because it adds big flavor.
- Get creative by adding crumbled goat cheese, char-grilled corn, pickled jalapenos or mango salsa.
There’s no right or wrong when it comes to making fresh guac, but for more inspiration, check out the ingredients and instructions below for creating a DIY guacamole bar at home.
- Medium-size ripe avocados, 1 per person
- Fresh lime juice, to taste
- Pinch of salt, to taste
- Heinen’s pico de gallo
- Green chili peppers
- Poblano peppers
- Serrano peppers
- Bell peppers (any color)
- Heinen’s cayenne pepper
- Heinen’s red pepper flakes
- Heinen’s cumin
- Heinen’s Salsa
- Heinen’s corn
- Heinen’s black beans
- Cheese (crumbled Cotija, feta, goat, blue, etc.)
- Sour Cream
- Heinen’s Tortilla chips
- Heinen’s pita bread, toasted
- Heinen’s baguette, sliced
- Heinen’s crackers
- Bell Pepper Slices
- Peel and seed the avocados. Scoop out the green flesh and mash in a medium-size bowl.
- Add the lime juice and salt and stir to combine.
- Set the bowl in the center of a serving tray, serving board or counterspace.
- Add as many add-ins as you desire to small serving bowls and arrange them around the bowl of guacamole.
- Fill in any gaps with the dippers.
- Allow guests to build their own guacamole. Refill the guacamole bowl with fresh avocados, lime and salt, as needed.