It’s important to take advantage of fresh citrus when the season rolls around. Here’s how to make the most of your citrus with three simple methods for zesting.
How to Zest a Lime with a Microplane
While holding the Microplane, rock the lime back and forth over the grater to finely zest.
How to Zest a Lemon with a Hand Zester
Press a hand zester down into the citrus and move in a circular motion as if you are peeling the lemon.
How to Zest with a Knife
1. Hold a paring knife in one hand and the citrus in the other. Cut a tiny bit at a time, pulling the peel back towards yourself.
Note: Do not cut too deep. You do not want to cut into the citrus itself.
2. Switch to a Chef’s knife to finely julienne the peel by rocking the knife back and forth. Tuck your fingers on the other side to keep them safe.
- Room temperature citrus will yield the most juice.
- Always zest citrus fruit before squeezing the juice.
- A lime will yield 1-2 Tbsp. juice and 1-2 tbsp zest.
- A lemon will yield 3-4 Tbsp. juice and about 1 tbsp zest.
- An orange will yield 1/3 – 1/2 cup juice and 1 1/2 Tbsp. zest.