This post and photography are courtesy of Holistic Wellness Expert, Nic Abraham. Interested in learning more about wellness? Join Heinen’s Club Fx and for more wellness tips, recipes, product promotions and one-on-one coaching with Heinen’s Wellness Consultants and Registered Dietitians.
In the holistic wellness community, there’s always something new to learn. Have you ever heard of ashwagandha? It’s a shrub that has been known for its various health benefits since ancient times.
Primarily found in India, the Ashwagandha plant consists of small, velvety leaves, bell-shaped flowers and small berries that look like little tomatoes. The berries and roots are collected to make medicine, and research suggests the health benefits are endless.
Let’s take a look at how ashwagandha can benefit you!
The Health Benefits of Ashwagandha
- Acts as an Antidepressant – Ashwagandha is a natural antidepressant and mood stabilizer.
- Improves Heart Health – Ashwagandha helps improve heart health by lowering cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Improves Memory – Ashwagandha is beneficial for those who have had memory or brain function issues from injury. It can help improve brain function by protecting nerves from free radicals and also causes a reduction in oxidative stress, which improves task performance.
- Increases Male Fertility – The ashwagandha plant is highly beneficial for men. It can have a substantial impact on testosterone levels and male reproductive health. In a study, men who took ashwagandha supplements showed a greater sperm count than those who didn’t take the supplement. It also increases antioxidant levels in the body, improving the quality of the sperm.
- Increases Muscle Mass – Ashwagandha is a tremendous supplement for muscle training or those who intend to increase muscle mass. It can also help reduce body fat.
- Reduces Cortisol Levels and Relieves Stress – Consuming ashwagandha can substantially reduce cortisol levels–the stress hormone.
- Reduces Inflammation – Taking ashwagandha can help reduce inflammation and chronic inflammation, which can reduce the risk of unnecessary illness.
- Reduces Sugar Level in Blood – Ashwagandha can lower blood sugar levels and increase glucose uptake.
If you’re interested in trying ashwagandha but a trip to India is not in your near future, don’t fear! Heinen’s has an assortment of incredible ashwagandha-based supplements in their Wellness Department that offer all of the benefits in convenient caplets and tablets!
Check out a few of my favorites!
Ashwagandha Supplements at Heinen’s
- Bare Organics Ashwagandha Root Phyto-Caps are a healthy way to cope with stress. This ayurvedic herbal supplement is vegan, gluten-free and soy-free.
- Gaia Herbs Ashwagandha Root Caplets provide extra immune and nervous system support for those with ongoing stress. They’re an excellent option for the busy professional and has been purity tested. The caplets are also vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free and soy-free.
- Garden of Life mykind Organics Ashwagandha Tablets promote a healthy stress response, boost energy and mood and enhance digestion with a probiotic. They’re certified USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, Certified gluten-free by NSF, certified vegan and kosher.
- Heinen’s Ashwagandha improves energy and provides a healthy stress response. The vegetarian capsules contain no dairy, wheat, gluten, soy, preservatives, artificial colors or artificial flavors.
- Himalaya Ashwagandha Caplets provide stress relief and greater sustained energy levels without stimulating the heart. The caplets provide stress relief by supporting the adrenal glands to produce normal levels of the stress hormone cortisol and promoting deeper relaxation levels for occasional sleeplessness. This supplement is Certified USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified and vegan, with no wheat, corn, soy or dairy.
- New Chapter Magnesium + Ashwagandha Tablets calm and relax the body while supporting muscle, bone, heart and nerve health. These 100% vegetarian tablets are Non-GMO Project Verified, Certified gluten-free by NSF and kosher.
If you have an autoimmune or thyroid disease, please consult your physician before taking ashwagandha.