The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Focaccia is a spongy, easy-to-bake bread that can be enhanced by a variety of flavorful add-ins.
In honor of autumn, I paired this fresh focaccia with apple and honey butter, which gives each bite rich, seasonal flavor! Light and airy in texture, this bread makes a deliciously hearty breakfast or satisfying afternoon snack!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 ¾ cups warm water
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 packet active yeast
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. of salt, plus more for seasoning
- 5 Tbsp. of olive oil, plus more for coating
- ½ Granny Smith and Red Delicious* apples, seeded and thinly sliced
- Heinen's shelf-stable bakery butters
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Add the water, sugar and yeast to the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk until combined. Let stand for 7-10 minutes.
- Add the flour, ½ tsp. of salt and 2 Tbsp. of olive oil to the bowl. Transfer the bowl to a stand mixer with a hook attachment and mix on low speed for 7-10 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and cover with plastic wrap. Rest in a warm, dark place for 60-90 minutes or until the dough doubles in size.
- Punch down the dough and transfer it to a 9×13 casserole dish that has been brushed with olive oil.
- Spread the dough to fit the casserole dish, then press down all over, using your fingertips to make indents.
- Evenly spread the sliced apples over the top and drizzle on the remaining 3 Tbsp. of olive oil. Season with salt.
- Bake at 425°F for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool, slice and serve with Heinen’s shelf-stable bakery butters.
*Note: If Red Delicious apples are not available in your Heinen’s Produce Department, use Honey Crisp, Fuji, Gala, or Pink Lady apples instead.