The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
Grilled cheese sandwiches are a staple comfort food for the season. Everyone loves melted cheese right? To make this sandwich extra special for fall, I grilled fresh, sliced Gala apples to stuff in between the gooey cheese and brioche.
Growing up in the south, my dad always bough fresh brioche buns from local bakeries. Here in Cleveland, I have access to that same quality bread at Heinen’s! How lucky is that?
- 2 thick-cut slices of brioche bread
- 5 oz. pureed butternut squash + 1 Tbsp. butter and 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. whipped cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 4 apple slices, thinly sliced and grilled
- 8 slices Monterey Jack cheese, sliced 1/4 - inch thick (to spread in 2 layers of 4)
- Butter, cinnamon and honey, to drizzle on grilled apples
- Slather apple slices in honey and cinnamon and sauté over medium-high heat, flipping occassionally I grill mine in a grill pan, but sautéing works just as well.
- After they are soft and develop grill marks, usually about 6-8 minutes, set the apples aside to construct the brioche sandwiches.
- Puree the butternut squash, butter and cinnamon together.
- On one piece of bread spread the butter. On the other piece, spread the cream cheese and butternut squash puree.
- Place the sliced Monterey Jack cheese in two layers of alternating patterns over the cream cheese.
- Add 4 apple slices on top of the cheese.
- Complete the sandwiches with the buttered brioche slice.
- Set grill or sauté pan to medium heat.
- Add a few Tbsp. of butter to the pan and carefully place the sandwiches on the grill grate or lines.
- Cook on each side about 3 minutes or until each side develops grill marks.
- Eat immediately to prevent cheese from hardening.