The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
Vibrant in both flavor and color, this spring-inspired Asparagus Toast is a nutritious treat for breakfast or brunch!
Blanched organic asparagus and Heinen’s northern white beans are blended with simple seasonings and a generous serving of fresh lemon, making each bite bright.
Topped with raw, in-season vegetables and hard-boiled eggs, this seasonal take on traditional toast is a great way to get your grains, greens and protein in the most delicious way!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Asparagus Puree
- 1 lb. organic asparagus, hard stems removed
- 15 oz. can Heinen’s northern white beans
- 1 shallot
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1-1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
For the Toast and Toppings
- Heinen’s sliced brioche bread
- Hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- Radish, sliced
- Coarse sea salt
- Black pepper
- Lemon zest
- Set eight pieces of asparagus aside to sauté later. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the remaining asparagus for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the asparagus from the boiling water and transfer to a bowl full of ice water. This will stop the cooking process and help preserve their vibrant color.
- Once the asparagus have cooled, add them to a food processor along with the northern white beans, shallot, lemon zest and juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder and olive oil. Blend for 3-5 minutes, or until very smooth. Add a Tbsp. of olive oil, as needed, until your desired consistency is reached.
- While the puree is blending, sauté the reserved asparagus with a little olive oil for 3-5 minutes, or until slightly tender
- Toast the slices of Heinen’s brioche bread.
- Spread the asparagus puree on the toasted bread and top with the sautéed asparagus, sliced hard-boiled eggs, sliced radish and microgreens.
- Finish with a little lemon zest, black pepper and coarse sea salt.