The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Grilled cheese gets a simple but elegant upgrade with goat cheese and loads of green goodness. These sandwiches are stuffed with both mozzarella and garlic-herb goat cheese, which melt together for the ultimate creamy combo.
Layered on hearty whole grain bread with fresh spinach, basil and lots of avocado, these sandwiches will make any weeknight meal feel extra special. Serve them alongside fresh fruit or a side salad.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4 large slices of hearty whole grain bread, like Dave’s Killer Bread
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Handful of baby spinach
- 3 oz. mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3 oz. garlic and herb goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 large basil leaves
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- Brush one side of one slice of bread with olive oil. Place the bread oil-side-down on a work surface. Top with half of the spinach, mozzarella, goat cheese, basil and sliced avocado.
- Top with another slice of bread and brush the top with olive oil. Repeat for the second sandwich.
- Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Add the sandwiches (or cook one at a time) and toast on both sides until the cheese melts and the bread is golden brown.