The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Elevate your weekend breakfast or brunch with this easy-to-assemble savory pastry made simple with a tube of crescent rolls! Filled with scrambled eggs, crispy bacon and cheddar cheese, it’s reminiscent of an egg croissant sandwich.
To assemble the ring, separate a tube of crescent rolls and overlap the short ends of the triangles in a “sun” shape on a baking sheet. Top each triangle with a strip of crispy bacon, then layer on the scrambled eggs and shredded cheese.
Fold each triangle over the eggs into the center, securing it under the dough. Bake until golden brown, slice, and serve!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 5 Heinen’s large cage free eggs
- ⅓ cup Heinen’s whole milk
- ⅓ cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- ⅓ cup green bell pepper, finely diced
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 slices Heinen’s CARE Certified thick cut bacon
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tube Pillsbury original crescent rolls
- 4 oz. Heinen’s extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Extra whole milk, for brushing the top
- Sliced green onion or chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, bell pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Season to taste with salt (about 2 pinches) and a few grinds of black pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain the drippings and wipe out the pan.
- Set the pan over medium-low heat and add the butter. Once the butter melts, add the egg mixture and scramble until just set (be careful not to overcook as they will continue to cook in the oven). Set the eggs aside.
- Unroll the crescent rolls and separate the triangles. Arrange the triangles on the prepared pan in a circle pattern with the long points facing out, overlapping the short ends in the center. It should look like a sun.
- Top each triangle with a slice of bacon. Sprinkle half of the cheese around the center circle, top with the scrambled eggs and finish with the remaining cheese.
- Fold each triangle over the eggs and cheese, securing it under the dough in the center. Brush the tops of the crescent dough with milk and top with freshly cracked black pepper.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Slide a metal spatula under the ring to separate it from the parchment. Lift the parchment to slide the ring onto a serving platter. Cut into 8 pieces.