The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
Baked, fluffy and cake-like donuts that are the perfect combination of sweet and salty.
No need for a fryer to make irresistibly light and fluffy donuts! This recipe is as simplistic as it is delicious and will surely become a household favorite.
With Father’s Day just around the bend, these mini donuts would make a delicious addition to any Father’s Day brunch or a special gift for Dad!
Baked Maple Bacon Mini Donuts
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Donuts
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 stick Heinen’s unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s cinnamon vanilla pure organic maple syrup
- 2 Heinen's cage free eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
For the Maple Glaze
- 1 cup Heinen’s organic confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s cinnamon vanilla pure organic maple syrup
- 1-2 Tbsp. Heinen’s heavy whipping cream
- 10 slices Heinen’s CARE Certified bacon, cooked and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a mini donut pan with butter.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl with a mixer, combine the butter, sugar, maple syrup, eggs and buttermilk until smooth.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until a smooth batter forms and all of the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- To pipe the donut batter into the donut pan, place a gallon-size Ziploc bag into tall drinking glass, folding the zippered top over the edge to create an open pocket.
- Pour the donut batter into the Ziploc bag, squeeze out any excess air and zip closed.
- Pipe the donut batter into the greased donut pan, 3/4 of the way full.
- Tap pan on counter to release any air bubbles in batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes.
- Invert the pan onto a cooling rack and tap out the donuts.
- Let the donuts cool completely before glazing.
- For the glaze, simply whisk together the ingredients until smooth and shiny. If the glaze is too think, simply add a tsp. more heavy cream.
- Drizzle the glaze over the donuts and top with the cooked bacon.