The perfect combination of crumb cake and doughnuts, these pear-infused circular treats are a delicious way to take advantage of in-season pears!
For those who believe that dessert and fruit do not mix, we think that you will reconsider after just one bite of these baked doughnuts!
For the Doughnuts
- 1 cup all purpose or white whole wheat flour
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup plain, whole milk Greek or skyr yogurt
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 pear, diced (preferably green or red Anjou)
For the Crumb Topping
- ½ cup all purpose or white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup rolled oatmeal
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. crushed walnuts
- 4 Tbsp. butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375˚F and grease two 8-section doughnut pans.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine yogurt, sugar, canola oil, eggs and vanilla extract and use an electric beater to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir a few times to incorporate. When there are a few flour pockets remaining, fold in pears.
- Mix until just combined and pears are evenly distributed.
- Make the crumb topping by combining everything together in a bowl and use your hands to combine.
- Pour batter into a piping bag, then pipe into prepared doughnut pans.
- Add crumb mixture to the top of each doughnut and press down gently, to ensure it sticks.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until doughnuts spring back to the touch. Let rest for 5 minutes, then enjoy!