The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
If you find yourself too rushed in the morning to eat a balanced breakfast, keep this Breakfast Pita Pocket recipe in your back pocket.
Stuffed full of staples like Heinen’s CARE Certified fully cooked Canadian bacon, scrambled eggs and cheese, this new spin on the breakfast sandwich can be enjoyed in your hand, making it perfect for people who are always on-the-go!
Even better, they come together in 15 minutes and can be meal prepped to freeze and reheat for the week.
Eating well doesn’t have to be hard with the right recipes in your arsenal.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 Pita Halves
- 4 Heinen's cage free eggs
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. Heinen's paprika or Heinen's chili powder (optional)
- 2 pieces Heinen's CARE Certified Canadian bacon, diced
- 1 piece Heinen's pita bread, cut in half
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Heinen's shredded cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- In a medium-size bowl stir together the eggs, Canadian bacon, chives, salt, pepper and the optional paprika or chili powder.
- Spray cooking spray on a medium-size skillet. Heat the skillet over medium heat.
- Add the egg mixture to the skillet.
- Let the eggs cook, untouched, until the edges start to set. Use a large spoon or spatula and slowly lift and fold the egg mixture.
- Continue to cook the eggs for 1-2 minutes, or until the egg mixture is cooked through.
- Lay the two pitas on a plate and spoon the egg mixture evenly into the two halves. Sprinkle each pita with the shredded cheese and extra chives.
- If desired, add other vegetables to the egg mixture like onion, bell pepper, garlic or zucchini.
- Spices add flavor to these egg pitas. Other than paprika or chili powder, try za’atar, oregano, Italian seasoning or curry.
- Fresh herbs are a nice addition to this recipe. Try fresh basil, parsley or dill.