The following recipe and photography were provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
I can’t tell you the last time I made a burger for myself. I can’t even recall the last time I ordered one at a restaurant. This weekend I changed things up and made a turkey bacon burger!
Unlike the traditional burger, this one is for breakfast complete with sweet bacon and savory waffle buns. I’ve never done waffle buns before, but there’s a first time for everything, and these totally deliver. To make the waffles, I used the ingredients that typically go into my corn muffins and it worked perfectly! If you’re looking to get add a little creativity to your morning meal, I think a delicious turkey bacon waffle breakfast burger is in your future!
Breakfast Turkey BLTE
For the Waffles
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1 cup corn
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
For the Turkey Bacon
- 8+ strips turkey bacon
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- Cracked ground black pepper
For the Burger
- Romaine heart lettuce
- Sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- Tomato slices
- Grilled egg
- Maple syrup, to drizzle
- Set oven to 375°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and add the turkey bacon in a single layer. Combine the brown sugar and maple syrup and spread generously over the turkey bacon strips. Bake for 25 minutes.
- While the turkey bacon is baking, mix your waffle ingredients. Start by combining the wet ingredients, then add all the dry and whisk until smooth. When the waffle maker is ready, add an appropriate amount of batter and cook for the recommended time (my waffle maker is 4 minutes, or until the green light turns off).
- For the egg, you can cook it to your liking. I like to beat 2 eggs and cook them in the shape of an omelet in a skillet, folding it over so it fits nicely between the waffle buns.
- To construct your burger, I go in the following order: waffle bun, a slice of cheddar, lettuce, cooked egg, turkey bacon strips (I cut 4 in half to get 8 pieces per waffle), 2 tomato slices and one more slice of cheddar cheese. Finally, top with the second waffle bun.
- Drizzle maple syrup either on the bacon when layering or pour it on top before eating, if desired. Enjoy!
Click Here to Print the Recipe for the Breakfast Turkey BLTE.