The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
The arrival of spring is highly anticipated after a cold and snowy Midwest winter.
As soon as the sun starts to shine and the temperatures warm up, I am reinvigorated to create delicious dishes that reflect the change in weather.
Spring and brunch go together like pancakes and syrup, and this bite-size spin on fan-favorite French Toast is guaranteed to bring out big smiles at the first brunch of the season!
Featuring Heinen’s new brioche bread and all of the beloved French toast fixings, these Brioche French Toast Cups are made in a muffin pan and perfect for prepping a day ahead for easy entertaining.
Served with warm Heinen’s pure organic maple syrup, just one mouthwatering bite won’t be enough!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 12 Cups
For the French Toast
- 1 loaf Heinen’s sliced brioche bread
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 stick Heinen’s unsalted butter, melted
- 6 Heinen’s organic cage free brown eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- Heinen’s organic powdered sugar, for garnish
- Heinen’s pure organic maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Spray a muffin tin with nonstick baking spray.
- Slice each piece of brioche bread into bite-size squares, 4 vertical cuts and 3 horizontal cuts to create 12 squares.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, sugar, vanilla, salt and 1 tsp. of cinnamon until smooth.
- Add the brioche pieces to the batter. Quickly toss until soaked.
- Slightly overfill each cup in the muffin tin with the soaked brioche bread. A small amount of liquid will be left over in the bowl – this is okay.
Mix together the cinnamon and sugar for the topping and sprinkle it over the French toast cups.
- Bake at 350˚F for 18-20 minutes until the French toast cups are set.
- Remove from the oven and place the muffin tin on a wire rack to cool. Once cooled, use a sharp knife to separate the cups from the muffin tin.
- Place the French Toast Cups on a serving plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup.