The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
Add some citrus and spice to your next taco night with these incredibly refreshing Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos.
As a kid, I grew up eating the hard shell taco kits. They were a weekly staple at our dinner table, but as I’ve grown older, my taco taste has evolved far past the classic ground beef, sour cream, lettuce and cheese creation.
Take these flavorful shrimp tacos as evidence of this. Featuring incredibly large and juicy shrimp from Heinen’s Seafood Department tossed in a bath of spices and finished with a cilantro avocado dressing, these tacos come together in about as much time as it took my mom to assemble her taco kit on a busy weeknight.
What’s even better is that if you’re running short on time, you can pick up garlic grilled shrimp from Heinen’s Prepared Foods Department. It will save you the step of seasoning and cooking the shrimp from scratch, but will taste just as delicious.
It’s taco time!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 lb. fresh shrimp, tails removed, deveined and halved
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. Tajin seasoning
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Fresh lime juice
- Bolthouse Farms cilantro avocado dressing
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Romaine lettuce, shredded
- Red cabbage, shredded
- Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced and quartered
- Small red onion, diced
- Combine the garlic powder, black pepper, kosher salt, chili powder, Tajin seasoning and cilantro in a bowl. Coat the shrimp in the melted butter, then toss in the seasoning mixture.
- Place the coated shrimp on a hot grill pan, or in a sauté pan, for 3-5 minutes. Cook to your liking, then set aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Toast the tortillas on the stove, or in a pan, for added char, if desired.
- Lay the tortillas on a plate and layer on the toppings in the following order: lettuce, cabbage, shrimp, onions and tomatoes.
- Top with more cilantro, if desired, along with a drizzle of the cilantro avocado dressing.
- Finish with a squeeze of fresh lime and enjoy!