The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
This recipe brings the heat of classic buffalo chicken in a whole new way!
Bite-size and completely free of meat, these “poppable” balls are built from Heinen’s tri-color quinoa, fresh cauliflower, hearty bread crumbs and buffalo sauce, of course, for a snack or app that tastes like a treat, but is surprisingly full of nutrients.
Bring out these buffalo balls when you’re looking to add spice to parties or game day gatherings.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 10 Balls
- 1 cup Heinen's tri-color quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped and boiled
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Heinen's Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Heinen's panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1-2 Tbsp. whole wheat, all-purpose or oat flour (optional)
- 1/2 cup Sweet Baby Ray’s buffalo sauce, plus 1/2 cup for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions. At the same time, boil the cauliflower in a separate pot on the stovetop.
- Once the quinoa is done cooking, set it aside.
- Once the cauliflower is done cooking, drain and place half into a food processor, along with the garlic. Pulse for 5-10 seconds.
- Pour the pulsed cauliflower mixture into a bowl before adding the second half to the food processor. Pulse for 5-10 seconds and transfer the bowl.
- Stir together the quinoa, breadcrumbs, oregano, thyme and a half cup of buffalo sauce with the cauliflower mixture. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 45 minutes to cool.
- After 45 minutes, form the cooled mixture into golf ball-sized balls, dip them in the panko bread crumbs to coat, then place the balls into a large skillet.
- Drizzle in 1 Tbsp. of olive oil, then cook the cauliflower balls over medium-high heat until they’re golden brown on all sides. Be careful when flipping, as they are fragile.
- Pour a small amount of the remaining half cup of buffalo sauce overtop of each ball, making sure they are covered but not soaked.
- Remove the balls from the skillet and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!