The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
Looking for a hearty and comforting seasonal supper that can be made ahead of time? This Cabbage Roll Casserole is it!
By layering all of the ingredients in a classic cabbage roll into one conveniently delicious bake, this dish eliminates the tedious steps of stuffing and rolling, thus cutting the prep time in half without skimping on flavor or texture.
You can prepare this dish the day before and bake it off the next day to make dinner time a total breeze.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 ½ lbs. Heinen’s Care Certified 90/10 ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 head green cabbage, chopped
- 3 packages Heinen’s pre-cooked brown rice
- 28 oz. Heinen’s tomato sauce
- 6 oz. Heinen’s tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp. oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire
- 3 1/2 cups Heinen’s low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup Heinen’s shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Heinen’s shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Olive Oil, for cooking
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- Add a few Tbsp. of olive oil to large pan and sauté the onion until translucent.
- Add the ground beef with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until browned.
- Stir in the tomato paste to coat the beef.
- Add the tomato sauce, Worcestershire, garlic powder, paprika, Oregano, bay leaf and another good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Simmer on low while for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut the green cabbage in half, then into quarters. Proceed to cut the cabbage into ¼-inch slices all the way down.
- Add the cabbage to a sauté pan with a good drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat just until the cabbage is slightly soft and golden.
- Shut off the heat and turn your attention back to the meat filling.
Add 3 ½ cups of chicken stock, along with the 3 cups of cooked brown rice to the meat. Stir to combine.
- Spread half of cooked cabbage onto the bottom of dish of 9×13 baking dish.
- Top with half of the rice and meat mixture.
- Add a second layer of cabbage followed by one last layer of rice and meat.
- If cooking right away, top with the shredded cheeses and bake uncovered at 375˚F for 30 minutes until bubbly.
- If preparing in advance, let the dish cool and store in fridge for up to one day. When ready to enjoy, top with the shredded cheeses and cook uncovered at 375˚F for 40-60 minutes until bubbly.
- Garnish dish with fresh parsley and enjoy!