The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
Warmer weather is coming! This Caprese Pasta Salad is a recipe you can eat warm or cold. Plant-based pasta is mixed with garlic, fresh tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, basil and coated in a delicious extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing.
Your guests will love this as a main dish or a cold salad paired with grilled meats or seafood!
Caprese Pasta Salad
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 8 oz. of Ancient Grains Red Lentil Rotini Pasta
- 8 oz. of pearl style mozzarella balls (or any fresh mozzarella), chopped into small pieces
- 10 oz. of Tomz Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 tsp. of oregano
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and run under cold water. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the tomatoes, mozzarella and pasta.
- In a small mason jar or salad dressing container, mix together the garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, oregano, crushed red pepper (optional), salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta and gently toss. Add the basil, Parmesan cheese and stir everything together.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge. If you are storing in the fridge, you may need to add a bit more olive oil and balsamic vinegar because the pasta will soak some of that up.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat 2 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic in and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and continue to sauté until the tomatoes are just soft and begin to pop open.
- Stir in the pasta along with the remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, oregano, crushed red pepper (optional), salt and pepper. Add the basil, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Remove from the heat and serve with crusty bread and a salad.