The following recipe was created in collaboration with Lauren Schulte. To see more of her bites and meals, visit her Instagram @TheBiteSizePantry.
Buttery, flaky and cheesy, these biscuits are the perfect accompaniment to any meal and rival the infamous cheddar bread bites from the popular restaurant named after everyone’s favorite red crustacean.
Did you know that cheddar has a season? Well, just in case you didn’t, I’m here to tell you that cheddar season is now, and these 20-minute Cheddar Baked Biscuits are a delicious way to celebrate.
Made with Heinen’s premium hand-selected fondue cheese blend from the Specialty Cheese Department, you’ll find that these biscuits are simply the best of the best!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour
- 1 1/3 cup Heinen’s hand-selected fondue cheese blend
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. parsley, freshly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. green onion, freshly chopped
- 6 Tbsp. Heinen’s unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 Heinen’s cage free brown egg
- 1 cup Heinen’s unflavored almond milk, or butter milk
For the Herb Butter Topping
- 4 Tbsp. Heinen’s unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. parsley, freshly chopped
- Heinen’s shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Like a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, fondue cheese blend, baking powder, garlic powder, Old Bay, green onions and parsley.
- Work the cold cubes of butter into the dry ingredients with your fingers or a fork. The dough should look like chunky cornmeal.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and egg. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredient mixture and mix until a wet, sticky dough forms. Be careful not to over mix or the biscuits won’t be as flaky. If the dough is dry, add a splash of milk.
- Divide the dough into 8-10 mounds and place them 2 inches apart on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with extra shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the herb butter topping.
- After 15 minutes, remove the biscuits from the oven and brush the tops with the herb butter. Return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and serve warm. Enjoy!