The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
Are you ready to roll with the big dogs? I’m reinventing the wheel… the beef wheel, that is!
On the menu are beef rolls! These juicy morsels are packed with caramelized onions, provolone and asparagus. They only take a few minutes to assemble and can be stuffed with any leftover vegetables or cheese you have on hand!
These are made for grilling, so get ready to brave the cold. If cold weather grilling isn’t your thing, no worries, these can easily be made on the stove top.
When perusing Heinen’s Meat Department, keep an eye out for skirt steak! This cut of meat has been gaining popularity due to its affordable price and incredible flavor. I highly recommend making skirt steak tacos if you’ve never had them!
Perfect for grilling, hot and fast is the name of the game when it comes to preparing skirt steak, but just as important as how you cook it, is how you slice it. If you slice with the grain of the meat, you will have a juicy chew toy, but slice against the grain, and you will have a melt-in-your-mouth slice of heaven! It’s important to check the grain of the meat before cooking or seasoning so you won’t have any doubts on how to slice this rolled masterpiece.
If you can’t find skirt steak, flank steak or oyster steak will work as a substitute.
Interested in making this recipe? Order the ingredients online for Curbside Grocery Pickup or Delivery.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4 Beef Rolls
- 1 1/2 lbs. skirt steak
- 12 asparagus spears
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1 onion
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- Start by caramelizing the onions. This is a process that you cannot rush, patience is a virtue. Place a pan on the stove over medium-low heat. Add 1 Tbsp. of butter and slice the onions about 1 cm-thick. Add the onions to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Stir every 5-10 minutes and cook until the onions are browned, about 1 hour. Remove and store in the refrigerator.
- Parboil the asparagus for 2 minutes and place directly in an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Remove steak from its packaging. Place the steak between two pieces of plastic wrap. Using a rolling pin, meat tenderizer or your fists, pound the meat until it has doubled in size.
- Season both sides of the steak with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Cut the steak in 4 equal size pieces. Place 2 slices of cheese on top of the meat, followed by 2 Tbsp. of caramelized onions and 3 pieces of asparagus. You can use any type of cheese for this recipe, but I found provolone keeps its shape when melted and doesn’t drip into the grill.
- Roll up the steak. Be careful not to roll too tight as this will prevent the inside from cooking evenly.
- Preheat the grill between 400˚F and 450˚F.
- When your grill is at temperature, place the beef rolls directly over the hot coals. Grill for 4 minutes on all four sides, 12 minutes total.
- Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!