The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
My kids love taquitos! I often lean on the convenience of frozen taquitos, but they’re actually very easy to make from scratch at home, especially with a few shortcuts, like flavored cream cheese and pre-cooked chicken. I love Heinen’s scallion cream cheese in this recipe and recommend Heinen’s Daily Bites pulled white meat chicken from the Prepared Foods Department to cut down on prep time.
I prefer the flavor of corn tortillas, but you can swap in flour tortillas if that’s your preference. (Note that taquitos made with flour tortillas are actually considered flautas!) The key to crispy baked taquitos is spraying them liberally with oil before baking. I recommend using Heinen’s avocado oil spray.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 container Heinen’s scallion cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s ground cumin
- ½ tsp. Heinen’s garlic powder
- 4 oz. can Hatch diced mild green chilis
- 1/2 lb. (2 cups) Heinen’s Daily Bites pulled white meat chicken
- 1 ½ cups Heinen’s shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 4 oz. Heinen’s CARE Certified bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 15-20 small Mission yellow corn tortillas
- Heinen’s avocado oil spray
- Ranch dressing or dip, optional for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients (cream cheese through bacon). Season the filling to taste with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches of 5 at a time, place the corn tortillas on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 20-30 seconds, or until very soft and pliable.
- Spread 2-3 Tbsp. of the filling on the bottom half of each tortilla, then roll up tightly.
- Arrange the rolled taquitos in a single later on the prepared baking sheet. Spray liberally with avocado oil spray.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest on the pan for 5 minutes. Serve with ranch dressing or dip.