The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
What’s sweet, spicy, savory and can be eaten at any time of day? Chicken and Waffles!
Crispy fried chicken is perfectly complemented by the sweetness of syrup and spiciness of cayenne. Serve it over fluffy homemade waffles and this soul food dish is complete!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Syrup
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 tsp. ground cayenne
For the Waffles
- 3 large Heinen's cage-free eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the Chicken
- 8 pieces Heinen’s fried chicken, warmed
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- Add all of the syrup ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- For the waffles, add the eggs, milk and oil to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and vanilla extract and whisk until combined.
- Spray the preheated waffle iron with nonstick spray and add 6-8 oz. of waffle batter. Cook until browned. Repeat until all of the batter is used, about 6-8 waffles.
- Serve the waffles alongside Heinen’s fried chicken and spicy syrup.