The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Assembled in one dish using a handful of simple and fresh ingredients, this weeknight friendly chicken bake incorporates one of my favorite summer flavor combinations – tomato and basil!
Here, I’m taking classic bruschetta to the next level and turning it into a quick-prep entrée featuring chicken breasts. This dish is perfect for using up your garden tomato bounty, or for savoring the beautiful locally grown tomatoes in Heinen’s Produce Department.
While you can certainly serve this over rice or pasta, I love to keep it light for summer and serve it with a simple green salad and toasted baguette slices. This recipe is easily doubled and can be baked in a larger pan for entertaining guests.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4 Gerber’s CARE Certified boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 ½ lbs.)
- Heinen’s organic Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 Roma tomatoes (about 12 oz.), diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 1 Tbsp. fresh garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsps. Heinen’s grated 24-month aged Parmigiano Reggiano
- ¾ cup Heinen’s shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heinen’s balsamic glaze
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. Place the chicken breasts in a single layer in the baking dish, then season on both sides to taste with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss together the diced tomatoes, chopped basil, minced garlic, olive oil, balsamic and Parmigiano Reggiano. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour tomato mixture over the chicken breasts, then sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Transfer the dish to the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the internal cooking temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze and garnish with chopped basil. Serve with a simple green salad and toasted baguette slices.