Recipe and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Turn your favorite casserole dish into an amazingly creamy soup with this delicious Chicken Macaroni and Cheddar Cheese Soup.
If you love good old fashioned comfort food, then this soup is an absolute must-make that is guaranteed to make the whole family smile.
I absolutely love to take classic dishes and twist them into something new and delicious, which is exactly what I did with this soup. While the procedures are different from a traditional mac and cheese, the flavors are still very prevalent in this dish.
You can also take this recipe to the next level by adding different cheeses to make it cheesier, richer and more flavorful. Here are some other cheeses you can use:
I like to start this recipe by cooking the chicken. This helps render some of the chicken flavors into the recipe as well as helping to keep the use of multiple pots to a minimum. Once the chicken is done cooking, I immediately dice it up and set it to the side.
Add a few pads of butter to the pot along with the vegetables and sweat them until they’re just tender. At this point you’ll want to make a roux which will help the soup thicken, so stir in some all purpose flour until combined.
Next you’ll add in chicken stock and milk and bring it to a boil. You should notice that the soup liquid is definitely thicker at this point. Simply finish the soup by adding the cooked chicken, broccoli, cheeses, cooked noodles, salt and pepper and mix until combined.
I usually serve this up with a few extra cheese shreds on top because you can never have enough cheese!
If you’re looking to spice things up even more, there are some additional ingredients you can add into this soup to make it your own including:
- Yellow Squash
- Butternut Squash
- Baby Spinach
- Breadcrumbs (for topping)
This is a fantastic weeknight meal that will undoubtedly be a winner at the dinner table.
- 2 7-9 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp. of oil
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and small diced
- 4 celery stalks, small diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and small diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 4 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 oz. shredded white cheddar
- 8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar
- 2 cups of trimmed broccoli
- 8 oz. macaroni noodles, cooked
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Over medium heat, add the oil to a large pot.
- Add in the chicken breasts and cook for 6-7 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken breasts, dice into large chunks and set aside.
- Add the butter, onions, celery, carrots and garlic and cook for 6-7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the flour until combined.
- Pour in the chicken stock and milk. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. The mixture should become thicker.
- Add in the cheeses, broccoli, cooked noodles, diced, cooked chicken, salt and pepper and mix until cheeses melt and all ingredients are combined.