The following recipe was created in collaboration with Lauren Schulte. To see more of her bites and meals, visit her Instagram @TheBiteSizePantry.
Have you ever seen recipes for “cake-in-a-cup?” Well, this is just that but instead of dessert, we’re having dinner. Pop to it already and make yourself, and your family, individual chicken pot pie…in a cup! Well, I’m using a mug, but you can very well use any cup, mug or ramekin that is oven-safe. These put a new spin on the classic casserole and all of the ingredients cook together in an individual serving.
Make my quick and creamy filling from scratch with just a few ingredients. Make sure to get good quality chicken breasts; I like to use Gerber’s. They always taste super moist. I also love to add fresh mushrooms whenever I can, but if you don’t like them feel free to leave them out. The dish will still be delicious. The best thing about this recipe is that the creamy filling is hiding underneath a crispy, golden Pillsbury biscuit crust that’s just waiting to be broken into. Simply bake them until golden brown for the easiest and best-tasting comfort food dinner.
This recipe has become one of our favorite quick meals, and I’m sure it will quickly become yours too.
- Total time:
- Heinen’s Olive Oil or Avocado Spray
- 2 8 oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 10.5 oz. cans of cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 large Russet potato, diced into small cubes
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 1 ear of fresh corn, kernels sliced off
- 1 bag of Heinen’s frozen vegetable medley
- 1 cup Colby Jack shredded cheese
- 5 Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Place raw chicken breasts in a shallow baking dish with about 1 cup of water. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and can be easily shredded. Shred all the chicken and set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, add shredded chicken, mushrooms, chicken broth, potato, onion, garlic, carrots, frozen vegetable medley, corn, cheese, cream of chicken soup, salt and pepper. Mix will.
- Spray 5 mugs, cups or ramekins with olive oil or avocado spray. Fill each mug almost to the top with the chicken mixture. Leave enough room at the top for one Pillsbury biscuit.
- Place a biscuit on top of the filling in each mug. Press down lightly to spread the biscuit to the sides of the mug.
- Beat the egg and brush the top of each biscuit with egg wash. This will give the biscuits a golden brown crust.
- Place the filled mugs on a baking sheet and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 25-30 minutes until the biscuits are a dark golden brown.
- Let the mugs cool for a bit before digging in. Enjoy!