The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
Citrus has long been paired with pork and seafood, but where’s the beef? Beef seems to take a back seat when it comes to citrus pairings, but today we are putting it in the driver’s seat. Fresh lime and orange juice co-star with a beautiful Heinen’s chuck roast to create a flavorful meal with minimal effort. The citrus flavors pair perfectly with the kick from chipotle orange seasoning.
This recipe is great to make in advance and use for meals throughout the week. Make a healthy taco salad, some cheesy enchiladas or just toss it on some rice. It’s a meal prepper’s dream!
Orange you excited to get started!?
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 6-12 (Depending on Roast Size)
- 1 chuck roast (2-4 lbs.)
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ red onion, sliced in large rings
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ jar of your favorite salsa
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Two Brothers Chipotle Orange Seasoning
- Remove the chuck roast from the packaging and pat dry with paper towels. Coat the roast heavily with the chipotle orange seasoning. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours.
Remove from the refrigerator and heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sear the roast for about a minute on each side. Searing helps maximize the flavor of the beef and brings out the amazing taste of the seasoning. Remove from the skillet and save any juices.
- Set a slow cooker to low. Place the onions, garlic and half of the salsa in the slow cooker.
- Set the roast on top of the onions and add the rest of the salsa, cilantro, orange juice, lime juice and any juices from the roast.
- Cook on low for 7 hours. The roast is ready when it falls apart and shreds with no effort.
- Remove the beef from the crockpot and spoon ½ cup of the juices over the meat. Top with cilantro and fresh lime juice. Serve and enjoy!