The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
Overnight oats are a kitchen craze that is yet to go out of style, and I understand why! They’re an easy way to ensure you’re eating well on busy mornings. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day after all!
Overnight oats are perfect for meal prep and typically feature rolled oats, milk or plant-based milk, spices and a variety of different toppings! This combination is truly delicious, but I’ve found a way to add even more nutrition and texture with one key non-traditional breakfast ingredient: quinoa!
That’s right! This sprouted grain is often used as a base for bowls or as a side for protein, but it is also the prefect partner to oats. Loaded with fiber, protein and a unique texture, it enhances both the nutritional value and intrigue of this dish. Conveniently, Heinen’s carries individual packages of cooked quinoa, so I highly suggest keeping those on-hand for this dish and all of your quinoa-based recipes!
Now, one of the most important elements of overnight oats is the liquid mixture because that is what the oats and quinoa will soak up as they sit overnight! This recipe calls for coconut milk, vanilla extract, maple syrup, turmeric, cinnamon and orange juice! The flavor of citrus in the winter is unbeatable and since Heinen’s fresh squeezed orange juice is loaded with vitamin C and likely going to be enjoyed in a glass alongside these overnight oats, I figured, why not just add it right in? The vibrant acidic flavor that it provides will ignite your taste buds.
So, what are you waiting for? Ensure that every day starts on a nutritious note by prepping these elevated overnight oats to enjoy each morning!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 3-4 Small Bowls
For the Overnight Oats
- 3/4 cup Heinen's coconut milk
- 1/2 cup Heinen's fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's pure organic maple syrup
- 1 tsp. Heinen's ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. Heinen's ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp. turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup Heinen's cooked tri-color quinoa
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Fresh fruit, kiwi, blackberries, strawberries and pineapple
- Granola or sweetened corn flakes
- Heinen's honey
- In a medium-size bowl with a tight-fitting lid, combine the coconut milk, orange juice, vanilla extract and maple syrup.
- Add the turmeric, cinnamon, chia seeds and turbinado sugar. Mix well.
- Add the rolled oats and cooked quinoa. Fold until combined.
- Place the lid on tight and store in the refrigerator overnight.
- Transfer the refrigerated mixture a serving bowl and finish with your desired toppings.