The recipe and photography for this post were provided by our friends at Melissa’s Produce.
Sometimes it’s the simple recipes that have the most delicious flavor. That is surely the case with these fresh avocados stuffed with juicy citrus segments, arugula and fennel and topped with lime and orange zest. They’re the perfect refreshing appetizer or light meal full of antioxidants and healthy fats!
Citrus Salad-Stuffed Avocados
Makes 12 appetizers or 6 salad servings.
- 6 ripe avocados, halved lengthwise; seeds removed
- 2 limes, 1 juiced; 1 zested & segmented
- 3 cups fresh arugula, washed and dried
- 5 organic oranges, divided; 2 zested; all 5 peeled & segmented
- 1 small bulb of fennel, trimmed; diced small
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Balsamic vinegar, to taste
- Drizzle the avocado halves with the lime juice. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the lime segments, arugula, the orange segments and fennel. Mix well. Add the lime zest and the orange zest and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Place equal parts of the mixture into the avocado halves. Drizzle with the balsamic and serve. Makes 12 appetizers or 6 salad servings.